Changes by Model Year
Before the mid-life restyling, the models available were the 520i, 520d, 525i, 525d, 530i, 530d, 535d, 545i, and the M5. The model range received uprated engines as part of the restyling.
- The 523i replaced the 520i as the base model and featured the previous 525i engine, detuned to 177 bhp (132 kW; 179 PS).
- The 525i received a new 218 bhp (163 kW; 221 PS) engine (up from 192 bhp).
- The 530i six-cylinder engine output was increased to 272 hp (up from 231 bhp).
- The 528i replaced the 525i with 230 hp (172 kW) (up from 218 hp (163 kW)).
- The 535i replaced the 530i with 300 hp (224 kW) (up from 258 hp (192 kW)).
- The 530d was upgraded to 231 bhp (172 kW; 234 PS) (up from 218 bhp (163 kW; 221 PS)).
- The 535d was upgraded to 286 bhp (213 kW; 290 PS) (up from 272 bhp (203 kW; 276 PS)).
- The 540i was introduced with a V8 engine producing 302 bhp (225 kW; 306 PS).
- The 550i replaced the 545i in the fall of 2005 with 362 bhp (270 kW; 367 PS).
- The 520d, 525d and the M5 remained the same.
The E60 is available in both sedan and station wagon (E61) platforms. The exterior design by Davide Archangeli, Italian designer who came to BMW from Pininfarina, is controversial due to its unusual proportions. The ‘eyebrow’ of the front headlights was also frowned upon by car magazines for taking away the aggressive look of its predecessors. Its iDrive system has been simplified from the system in the 7 Series. It can be ordered with a full array of options such as active cruise control, head-up display, active steering, and the Harman Kardon Logic7 stereo system.
The BMW M5 is the high performance version of the range, and is one of the highest performance sedans on the market. Like all BMW ‘M’ cars, it balances superb handling with power, which is delivered by a naturally aspirated 5.0 L (40-valve) V10 producing 373 kW (507 PS (373 kW; 500 hp)). The car has a 0-100 km/h time of 4.1 seconds, 0-200 km/h time of 15 seconds, and an electronically governed top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph). Though given the correct tire ratings and the removal of the governor the M5 is capable of 205 mph (329 km/h).
A derivative of the E60 is the E63/E64 which forms the current iteration of the 6 Series coupe.
A factory-stretched long-wheelbase version of the E60 5-Series was offered in China, as a response to the Audi A6 L. It offered much of the rear legroom of a large executive saloon (e.g. BMW 7-Series or Mercedes-Benz S-Class), but in a cheaper, simpler model. As of 2009, trim levels included the 520Li, 523Li, 525Li, and 530Li.